Stay Connected with KSB
Our Mission ... Keep Sedona Beautiful, Inc., acting through the stewardship of its members and volunteers, is committed to protect and sustain the unique scenic beauty and natural environment of the Greater Sedona Area.
Dark Skies - Starry Nights
Sedona was named the
6th International Dark-Sky Community
in the US and the 8th world-wide!
KSB Committee Annual Reports to the International Dark Sky Association
2015 Annual Report 2016 Annual Report
Dark-Sky Community Awareness Events
2016 Community Dark-Sky Awareness Events
- Red Rock State Park 25th Anniversary Celebration, November 5, 2016
- The 28th Annual Verde River Day, September 24, 2016
- Star Party at Big Park Community School, September 12, 2016
- KSB National Night Out, August 6, 2016
- Dark-Sky information, June 13, 2016
- Jim Peterson, American Commercial and Fine Art Photographer, How to use your digital camera to take photographs of the night sky. June 8, 2016
- Celebration of Big Park/Village of Oak Creek International Dark-Sky Community designation, June 8, 2016
- Keep Sedona Beautiful Preserving the Wonder™ Speaker Series, May 11, 2016
- Sedona Recycles Earth Day, Educational Event, April 23, 2016
- National Astronomy Day Star Party, April 17, 2016
- Summary of Star Party at Red Rock State Park, J.D. Maddy, April 9, 2016
- Star Party, Red Rock State Park, April 9, 2016
- Spring Skies by J.D. Maddy, President of Astronomers of Verde Valley, March 2016
- Arizona Dark Skies Are Under Threat March 9, 2016
- Eons of Light—Milky Way Over Cathedral Rock, Photograph Courtesy of Sedona Photographer Jim Peterson 2015
- IDA Designates Big Park/Village of Oak Creek an International Dark-Sky Community, February 22, 2016
- Big Park/Village of OakCreek designated as an International Dark-Sky Community, February 22, 2016
2015 Community Dark-Sky Awareness Events
- International Dark-Sky Association Annual Conference, Scottsdale, AZ, November 14-15, 2015
- Verde River Day, September 26, 2015
- Sedona National Night Out, August 4, 2015
- Starry Night Event, Red Rock State Park, June 6, 2015
- National Astronomy Day, Safeway Plaza, April 26, 2015
- Earth Day, April 22, 2015
- Dark Sky Events: Earth Day Activities April, 22; National Astronomy Day April 26, 2015
- International Dark-Sky Association Nightscape Annual Report Edition, April 2015
- "The Best Places to Stargaze in America" , National Geographic, April 9
- KSB and Big Park Council Pursue Dark-Sky Community Designation, April 7, 2015
- KSB Spring Quarterly Newsletter: KSB Receives Dark Sky Award, page 2, April 2015
- KSB Receives Dark Sky Defender Award, March 9, 2015Keep Sedona Beautiful Preserving the Wonder™ Speaker Series, February 11, 2015
2014 Community Dark-Sky Awareness Events
- Sedona Red Rock News: City, KSB Write Dark-Sky Policy, October 17, 2014
- City Council recognition and plaque presentation to the City of Sedona for being named the world's eighth International Dark-Sky Community by the International Dark-Sky Association (IDA), September 23, 2014.
- Sedona National Night Out, August 9, 2014
- IDA Designates Sedona, AZ, the Worlds 8th International Dark-Sky Community, August 4, 2014
- Sedona Red Rock News: Stars, Council Align for Dark Sky, June 27, 2014
- Starry Night Party, Red Rock State Park, May 30, 2014
- Special Tour of the Discovery Channel Telescope, Lowell Observatory's Newest Eye on the Sky! May 23, 2014
- Keep Sedona Beautiful Preserving the Wonder™ Speaker Series, February 12, 2014
2013 Community Dark-Sky Awareness Events
- Star Party, Sedona Posse Grounds, November 22, 2013
- Keep Sedona Beautiful Preserving the Wonder™ Speaker Series, November 13, 2013
- Star Party, Red Rock State Park, November 9, 2013
- Sedona National Night Out, August 6, 2013
- Sedona is recognized worldwide as one of the most unique and picturesque locations in the United States, defined in daylight by its distinctive Red Rock landscape and beautiful Oak Creek Canyon.
- Sedona offers a rich night sky: it is a place where on cloudless nights the Milky Way is not just visible but cuts a wide and naturally bright swath across the sky.
- Keep Sedona Beautiful (KSB) submitted the comprehensive application for the designation of Sedona as International Dark-Sky Community to the International Dark-Sky Association (IDA) in November 2013. Sedona was named the 6th International Dark Sky Community in the US by the IDA in August, 2014.
- The IDA is the recognized authority on light pollution. Founded in 1988, IDA was the first organization to call attention to the hazards of light pollution, and in 24 years of operation its accomplishments have been tremendous.
- IDA promotes one simple idea: light what you need, when you need it. They know some light at night is necessary for safety and recreation. They work with manufacturers, planners, legislators, and citizens to provide energy-efficient options that direct the light where you want it to go, not uselessly up into the sky.
- Please Join, Renew, or make a Special Gift to Keep Sedona Beautiful – Environmental Stewards since 1972.
Your donation will make an important difference in helping KSB, acting through the stewardship of its members and volunteers, protect and sustain the unique scenic beauty and natural environment of the Greater Sedona Area for all people of the world and future generations.
Please, Click Here, for more information on membership and/or contributions. Thank you for your support!
Taking a peek in the midst of a changing season
Just when the universe takes a pause
There you are in a timeless ocean
In a myriad of twinkling stars
And as those stars shine
It' s your turn to shine
Taking another day
In dark and light
Take time to feel
a given right
Poem written by Susie Anderson of Cottonwood, AZ
Alone in the night
On a dark hill
With pines around me
Spicy and still,
And a heaven full of stars
Over my head,
White and topaz
And misty red;
Myriads with beating
Hearts of fire
Cannot vex or tire;
Up the dome of heaven
Like a great hill,
I watch them marching
Stately and still,
And I know that I
Am honored to be
Of so much majesty.
- Celebration of Big Park/Village of Oak Creek International Dark-Sky Community designation, June 8, 2018
- The 28th Annual Verde River Day, September 24, 2016